Thursday, March 12, 2009

Kids INC

A few weeks ago I received a call from Jason Husslein from the Menomonee Falls, WI Community Education and Recreation department. Menomonee Falls has a before and after school program for children in kindergarten through 5th grades called Kids Inc. Two of the schools, Ben Franklin Elementary and Riverside Elementary had chosen HAWS as their community service project.

The kids collected items that HAWS has on our Wish List and Jason asked me to come and talk to them and take the items back with me to HAWS. The photo is of the kids from Ben Franklin Elementary with a sign they made for me, and HAWS adoptable dogs Wayne and Winnie. (Wayne has since found a home!)

I was simply amazed by how much the kids were able to collect -- as you can see in the photo below it almost completely filled the back of my Subaru Forester!

I can attest to the fact that overall todays children aren't as selfish as many people think. I get calls all the time from scout troops, schools and church groups and parents who tell me their kids would like to help HAWS out in some way.

Children have sold lemonaide and donated the proceeds, collected items from our wish list, asked that donations for HAWS be purchased in lieu of birthday gifts, and come to HAWS to donate their time. It gives me tremendous hope for future generations!

No comments: